How to Cut Through Closet Chaos
One reason why women feel like their closets are a disjointed collection of prints, patterns and color rather than a functional wardrobe is because they don't own enough neutral staples.
A Tiny Closet, Tons of Style wardrobe starts with a solid foundation of basics and then layers in color, texture and print.
If you've put the wardrobe cart before the horse, no worries! You only need 10 core neutral staples to connect all of the other garments in your closet and immediately expand your outfit options.
Quality vs. Quantity
When shopping for your neutral staples it is prudent to source the best quality of each that you can afford. The goal is to replace these items only every 5 -10 years. Even if the rest of your closet is filled with fun and funky fast fashion, investing in a quality collection of core garments will elevate your total look.
10 Neutral Staples
Neutral Staple #1: Camisole or Tank Top
Dress it up with accessories for date night
Silk adds texture, is versatile and season-less
Neutral Staple #2: Structured Tee
- Dress it up or down, layering essential
- Short sleeve for warm months, long sleeve for cold
- Spend or save
SHOP STRUCTURED TEES
Neutral Staple #3: Blouse
- Chambray - wear open like a cardigan, casual cool vibe
- Classic White Dress - timeless and versatile
- Silk - Luxury feel and upkeep
Neutral Staple #4: Sweater
Wool or thick cashmere for cold months
- Linen or featherweight cashmere for warm months
Neutral Staple #5: Cardigan
- Because: Air Conditioning
- Layering and travel essential
Neutral Staple #6: Skirt
- Casual as you may be, there will be a day you go to court or a job interview
- Pencil and A-Line most versatile
- Black jersey or modal looks structured, feels comfy
Neutral Staple #7: Dress Pant
- At the very least you need one pair for special occasions
- Go dark: Black or charcoal
- Tailoring is everything, make sure the fit is impeccable
SHOP DRESS PANTS
Neutral Staple #8: Favorite Jeans
- Because: Weekend
- Bootcut or straight leg are classics
- Budget denim is thinner, tends to lose its shape as day goes on
Neutral Staple #9: Versatile Dress
- One day you will need to go to a funeral
- Black, navy or charcoal
- Dress it up or down
- Black jersey or modal look structured, feel comfy
SHOP VERSATILE DRESSES
Neutral Staple #10: Classic Jacket
- A classic jacket is practical and can pull a polished look together instantly
- Invest! A well crafted jacket can last decades
- Trench, blazer or leather bomber - go with your personal style and career requirements
- Shop consignment stores in wealthy neighborhoods
SHOP CLASSIC JACKETS
The Outfit Formula in Action
Want to see the versatility of neutral staples in action? Check out this outfit gallery. Nearly every outfit I wear is built around these 10 neutral staples.
Let me see your neutral staples! Join the MappCraft | Tiny Closet Survival Guide FB group for daily outfit shares, live videos and lots of capsule chatter and fashion inspo.
If you love this post so me some love with me a sweet click on the little heart below. LOVES YA!
Be the Bright!
The Only Capsule Wardrobe E-Book You Actually Need
If you appreciate the practical "how to put an outfit together" tips in this blog post you are going to LOVE my new e-book!
MappCraft | Tiny Closet Essential Survival Guide is the definitive source for creating a customized capsule wardrobe (full of color, texture and personality) and cementing your personal style in the process.