Fake It Till You Make It
Intrigued by the idea of a capsule wardrobe but paralyzed at the thought of chucking most of your clothes? Try a Tiny Closet “practice purge” instead. Take a few hours to weed out questionable items (I suggest starting with the closet fat listed below) and simply store them out of sight for 3 months. If you really miss something you can grab it back. After your practice purge is over you’ll feel empowered to gift, donate or resell your closet cast offs with confidence.
5 Types of Closet Fat
There are several easy to trim areas where you typically store "closet fat." Practice purge these items first and you'll quickly cut your closet weight in half - or more.
- Off Season – Nearly 50% of the closet clutter I confront is visual distraction. Start simple: remove every off season item (clothes, outerwear, footwear and accessories) and store in a secondary closet
- Ill Fitting – If it doesn’t fit, don’t front. Box it up
- Lifestyle Lapse – Life, jobs and circumstances are always changing. So often we hold on to garments that don’t reflect our current lifestyle. If you used to work in a law office and now you’re at home with the kids you don’t need a bevy of blazers. SAHM re-entering the work force? To the bin you go, LuLaRoe
- Denim Dungeon – Let me guess. You have 25 pairs of skinny jeans. Keep the 3-5 pairs you actually wear and pack away the rest
- “But It Has Tags!” aka Impulse Purchases – It has tags because you bought it on impulse and it matches nothing or fits funny. Return it. Too late for a refund or exchange? Commit to wearing it in the next 10 days or pack it up
Man, You've Got a Tiny Closet!
After your dead closet weight is packed away take a good look at what’s left. I’m guessing it’s the clothes you actually love – clothes that fit, flatter and make you feel fantastic. Challenge yourself to wear only these garments for a season. If there are glaring wardrobe gaps (typically, my clients need to add more neutral basics) make a list and shop slowly, with intention.
Or you can always call me and we can tackle your closet together. I’ll even make you outfit formulas and teach you how to accessorize. But don't take my word for it! MappCraft | Tiny Closet, Tons of Style® was named Best Service to Pair Down Your Closet by Washingtonian Magazine.
Show me your tinier closet! Join MappCraft | Tiny Closet, Tons of Style® Survival Guide FB group for daily style challenges, outfit shares, live #OOTD videos and lots of capsule chatter and inspo. Plus everyone is so nice.
If you love this post so me some love with me a sweet click on the little heart below. LOVES YA!
The Only Capsule Wardrobe E-Book You Actually Need
If you appreciate the practical "how to put an outfit together" tips in this blog post you are going to LOVE my new e-book!
MappCraft | Tiny Closet Essential Survival Guide is the definitive source for creating a customized capsule wardrobe (full of color, texture and personality) and cementing your personal style in the process.